11/22/15- SFD responded to assist the Brockport Fire District with a working house fire on Redman Road.
With the cold weather brings the use of various types of home heating that can produce Carbon Monoxide, Also known as the silent killer. It is very important to have battery operated CO Alarms in your home.
11/8/15- SFD responded to a Union Street residence for a gas can that caught on fire. Fortunately the fire was extinguished before it caught the structure on fire.
11/2/15- SFD firefighters responded to a small barn fire on Route 31. Upon arrival it was fully involved and was a total loss.
It is that time of year again! Colder temps have us all looking to our home heating systems which, a good number of times, means wood stoves and fireplaces. Careful attention to safety can minimize fire hazards.
To use them safely:
- Be sure the fireplace or stove is installed properly. Wood stoves should have adequate clearance (36 inches) from combustible surfaces and proper floor support and protection.
- Wood stoves should be of good quality, solid construction and design, and should be UL listed.
- Have the chimney inspected “annually” and cleaned if necessary, especially if it has not been used for some time.
- Do not use flammable liquids to start or accelerate any fire.
- Keep a glass or metal screen in front of the fireplace opening, to prevent embers or sparks from escaping, unwanted material from going in, and to help prevent the possibility of burns to occupants.
- The stove should be burned hot twice a day for 15-30 minutes to reduce the amount of creosote buildup.
- Don't use excessive amounts of paper to build roaring fires in fireplaces. It is possible to ignite creosote in the chimney by overbuilding the fire.
- Never burn charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal can give off lethal amounts of carbon monoxide.
- Keep flammable materials away from your fireplace mantel. A spark from the fireplace could easily ignite these materials.
- Before you go to sleep, be sure your fireplace fire is out. “NEVER” close your damper with hot ashes in the fireplace. A closed damper will help the fire to heat up again and will force toxic carbon monoxide into the house.
- If synthetic logs are used, follow the directions on the package. NEVER break a synthetic log apart to quicken the fire or use more than one log at a time. They often burn unevenly, releasing higher levels of carbon monoxide.
- Never discard hot ashes inside or near the home. Place them in a metal container outside and well away from the house.
It's that time of year where we start using wood burning stoves and fireplaces. Please dispose of ashes properly by first letting them cool down. Then place in a metal container with a tight fitting lid and put outside away from any structure.
10/17/15 - SFD Firefighters participated in the "Fight for Air" Stair Climb today at the old Bausch & Lomb building in Rochester. This was a fundraiser for the American Lung Association. The SFD members teamed up with Brighton Firefighters. Pictured from left to right is RT Magin (SFD), Kalli Herouvis (BFD) and Nick Kennedy (SFD).
10/6/15 - SFD Engine 2912 responded to assist the Gates Fire District with a house fire on Rowley drive.
9/29/15 - Spencerport Firefighters attended the funeral of Bergen Firefighter/EMT Barry Miller who was killed in an ambulance crash last week. Spencerport
Ladder 2911 was used along with Chili's Tower to fly the American Flag in front of the Chapel at Robert's Weslyan College which was the site of the funeral.
9/26/15 - SFD supported yesterday's Fall Festival marathon with a medical crew. The crew was made up of Christian Geer, RT Magin and Cole Tresohlavy. SFD's own Jared Foster competed in the marathon.